[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The-Hogs.net - View topic - Let the 2015 mock draft begin....

Let the 2015 mock draft begin....

Talk about the Washington Football Team here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge

Re: Let the 2015 mock draft begin....

Postby Countertrey » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:38 pm

"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:15 pm

I read and listen to all the stuff on the web...hey, I have plenty of time, I'm retired!!! I've heard and read Scot say he likes BPA -- like all of you, however, I don't believe "Best Player Available" is "BPA" -- to everyone... Read this:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d ... -draft-day

Whether you like Steve Wyche or not, or think this article is old, I believe he's right on -- PBA has a lot of factors...NEED being one of them. In other words, why stockpile one position? The cap doesn't allow that.

Also, BPA available is different for each team -- based on scheme, preferences, how teams gauge past injuries, what players will be available next year, a players personality/interviews, NEED-- etc.

This is not an exact science, who Scot believes is PBA at #5 might be different than another team.

I also believe there are certain positions that have less value at the top of the draft and others more value at the top of the draft -- of course, that's less true as you get later in the draft.

Hog

Postby Prowl33 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:45 pm

BPA takes a lot into account. How much better is that player than what you have on your team and other prospects, value of that position (specifically in the 1st round), how his interview went, how his old team mates and coaches spoke of him, and a lot more.

Those things will all be weighted differently, tape im assuming the most, then interviews, and so forth.

A lot of teams have the same boards because they use scouting services like what Scot had, and perform minor tweaks. Having scot, its likely our board is a little more unique since its being built in house.

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Countertrey -- so, because Gibbs wasn't finding the talent (Bethard was) Gibbs can't or doesn't have an opinion? Hell, he won 3 Super Bowls. I believe he knew a thing or two about football players. More than any of us I'd guess!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:33 am

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:31 am

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:42 am

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:43 am

HereComesTheDiesel

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:47 am

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:21 pm

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:00 pm

I DO NOT DISAGREE.... Scot will pick the best player available on HIS board. That board is determined by a lot of things. And NEED is one of them....That's all I'm saying.

I also believe need might become less of a factor the further you get into the draft. For example....While Ive heard WR White from WV could be the BPA when we pick - does anyone see us picking him? Not me. However, I could see us picking a WR later in the draft.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:02 am

^ we get what you ate saying Fred... a lot goes in to determining what the best player available is. However, need is not a factor to our new GM.. if there is a Safety rated lower then a WR (White for example) Scott will take him over the Safety even tho our needs are much less at Wide receiver. Now the entangables that determine who HIS best players available are, is a different story. We arent privy to how he rates players... some put more stock in work ethic and character then others- or just because some ones top speed is higher he might have slower footwork and acceleration. I think we will be surprised by a lot of his picks, hopefully for the better tho
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:07 am

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:12 am

I don't agree that need is not a factor. Said without all the negatives....I believe "need" enters into all personnel decisions.

A lot of posters are taking everything they hear so literally and emphatically.

"We will be a running team" - does that mean we won't ever throw the ball?
"We will play a 3-4 Defense" - does that mean 4 guys won't have their hands in the dirt occasionally?

If we keep Garçon and DJax does anyone believe Scot would take Kevin White at #5, who some is saying a top player in the draft? Does Scot even value WRs that high? Look at Seattle's WRs. Again, BPA is based on a *sh$t* load of stuff!!!

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:59 am

You can have position rankings without them being based on need and I'm sure that's what Scot has. It looks like he values linemen particularly highly from his draft history.
I can't see us taking a receiver at 5 based on those position rankings, but if we traded back 10 spots or so and White was miraculously still there, I'd bet we take him.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Football Team